Friday, February 10, 2017

Lesson 2 - Composition - Off the Wall Friday

So, I made it through my second lesson of Katie Pasquini Masopust's class - barely!!  When I first read that it was going to center on composition, I was all happy.  I mean, wasn't it I who had tried and true rules concerning composition?   So hard could it be?? 

I picked Cruciform structure.  And yes, that is exactly what it sounds like . . . . you organize your objects to make a cross.  So I did that using lines because that's easy enough.  The problem came in when I added my accent shape.  I decided to use circles because don't lines and circles go together like peanut butter and jelly?  Well apparently when I added my big circle it top my sketch over into the asymmetrical  composition structure.  So my lovely cruciform composition was now asymmetrical.  Luckily, that was one of the ones we could choose so that was fine!


I did the normal value sketches and picked one.  Also, I had to pick a color palette -so I went with my favorite yellow-green, green and blue-green and added a complimentary of red for some spark.  I've learned in the past that if I use this palette in the past that it just reads  "Calm", "Serene" and "Peaceful".  Without its complementary (remember complementary means opposite - not  natural partner) 

it would have been too wishy-washy for my taste.  This was a bold graphic sketch - it needed a bolder palette.

I thought I was going to use steam a seam 2 lite again but it was so big that I just pinned it down and started adding the thread work.  So while the rest of the country was watching the superbowl, I was machine quilting.

It got a good critique and it works fine - buttttttttttt - I don't know - I'm not too keen on it.  Its not something  I want to put up in a space on my wall.  I gotta remember that when making these little samples to make them pretty enough that I want to keep them around a bit!!

On to Lesson 3!!

So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?

7 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Interesting. I would love to take a class with Katie! How lucky are you!

Jwardeast@gmail.com said...

I love your piece! Keep it around, you may find a use for it!

Christine Staver said...

I am so impressed with what you are doing this year. Good to see you back in the studio. I have watched her online class at iquilt and really enjoyed it.

Barbara said...

Your piece is wonderful!. Is this an online class with Katie?

Vera Holmgren said...

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Jan R said...

I'm enjoying your progress with Katie's class. I took it about four years ago and learned bunches. I've never worked so hard, but been so rewarded! Hope you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I find your piece very striking. It caught my eye instantly, then I appreciated it even more as you talked about what was happening in it.