Friday, July 1, 2016

The Edges Continue - Off the Wall Friday

Its been a while since I've shown the slow progression of a Work in Progress.  Mostly that is because I don't think its that interesting unless there is something groundbreaking happening.  But obviously, I can't be trusted to get anything done in my studio unless I'm being held accountable - so thank you for your patience. 

I have learned that creativity is an ebb and flow kind of thing,  so I don't sweat times like this.  Still I do like to keep somewhat productive and I did manage to put in a few more hours into the piece this week.  One thing that I'm learning is that although I drafted out a nice detailed value drawing as well as a loose main pattern, I'm not really following them very well.  What I am doing is following the grey scale manipulation of the photo inspiration.  Not to mention letting the piece direct what goes next.  I mean, geesh, its always good to make visual decisions visually.

It definitely is becoming a study in edges - soft and hard - so I think I'll nickname it the Edges.

"I was born a copper. And I'll die one, I expect"


Ohhhh and  the suggestion of the week - if you're looking for something to watch on TV that will not rot your brain - the third season of Endeavour is playing this summer at a PBS station near you.

Endeavour, is the prequel for the long running UK series, Inspector Morse and is a period mystery set in 1960's Oxford.  Its part cop mystery - part - 60's period piece.  Its filled with plot twists rather than guns.



 
 I've been known to get a little obsessed with a good Masterpiece Theatre series and Endeavour is no different.  Not only is Shaun Evan's  dreamy blue eyes  perfect  for a summer crush, but his mentor Thursday, played by Robert Allum is a "Real Man's" man.

 Its the kind of series that you really need to watch each episode a few times to get all the nuances of the story.  Not to mention, it will have you googling exactly what all the English idioms mean. (Warning:  we always watch with the captions on!)

If you need to catch up on Season 3 - its online at PBS.com.   If you are looking for the first two  seasons of the show you can find them for rent on Amazon (or free on AmazonPrime).



So What Have You Been Up to Creatively?? 

6 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

So, your are patient with the ebb and flow of your creativity. oh how I wish I had reached that point of maturity!

Muv said...

Laughing like a drain here (get googling). I have never watched Endeavour so I didn't recognise the actors, but I spotted the English prison in the background in a trillisecond. I'm more of a Midsomer Murders and John Nettles fan myself.

Julie Bagamary said...

It's looking nice. I say "slow progress is still progress".

Laura McGrath said...

I love those shows on PBS, you should also watch Grantchester, it's another great show. I'm recording Endeavor but haven't watched it yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Linda A. Miller said...

I can appreciate the flux of creative process. Patience at all times. Have so enjoyed the PBS shows, too... sorry that this is the last season for Endeavour and Inspector Lewis.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nina Marie. Haven't been by in ever so long. Glad I could stop by today. I find your process very interesting--more power to you, it would drive me nuts to be so precise! I love your results, so it's well worth the effort...best, nadia