Friday, October 10, 2014

Say it with Color - Off the Wall Friday

I love color.  I know that I spend a lot of time saying how important value is when I'm designing but I still love color more.  So you can imagine how happy I was that this month's topic is color.  Its fun to explore how color can be used to express the mood of a piece.  Its amazing how much you can communicate  with just picking out the right palette.

How you ask? 

 Well here are some tips. . . .

Red, Orange, Yellow - Emotional Colors - strength, energy, joy, enthusiasm, passion, etc

Notice how I used these colors to express my passion for praise - the joyfulness that I feel when I praise God.

I used Blue and Purple for a calm but rich mood


Green - freshness, rebirth, harmony, newness

Blue - water and sky - calmness or storminess - serenity and sincerity

Purple - always adds richness

White is always pure for me and Black is about power





So with those general guidelines in mind I created my sketches for this month assignment.  I took Elizabeth's suggestion and made one sketch.  It was one that I'm going to do a little piece for with Open Studio so why not kill two birds with one stone??  I then interpreted it into three palettes that  - hopefully - create three  different moods.  It was fun to get out the crayons and the color pencils!  Not to mention I love working with organic shapes!



So what have you been up to creatively?


4 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

I guess it's just personal preference but I like January-it seems to convey "mood" strongest. All are lovely and will be perfect for your open studio.

Christine Staver said...

Good ones, Nina-Marie. I still have to work on mine this afternoon. Only 9 weeks to retirement and then I will have all the time in the world to work on stuff like this!

Regina B Dunn said...

Each one does convey a totally different mood. The blue is a little moody and down but yet still very pleasant to look at. The green is very uplifting and fresh. The orange is very firey and passionate.

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

You are always up to such creative things! Love it.