Thursday, October 24, 2013

Bucket List. . . . Off the Wall Friday

While getting ready for this weekend's Open Studio, my mind started to wander to the idea of Bucket Lists.  Now I know that in today's society it not unusual to have a bucket list of Must Do things to do before one dies, but to tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of the ritual.  I mean, not only do I find it a bit morbid, but I like to live my life that every day has some kind of fun and interesting event in it.

Now that all said, I always have had a kind of creative bucket list in the back of my mind.  Since my creative life is ever evolving, so is the bucket list.  Still, I didn't think it was a bad idea for me to get it down in some concrete form (well as concrete as the cyber world is), just in case something like the Zombie Apocalypse happens tomorrow.

Nina's Bucket List
 
  • Take a Workshop with  Sue Benner.  Everytime a bunch of us get together and start talking about the great quilt teachers out there, Sue's name pops up.  Time and time again, I've heard that she's one of everyone's favorite teacher's so I definitely want a chance to take a class.
 
  • Visit the great art museums of the world including and not limited to  - Louvre, MOMA, The Tate, the Art Institute of Chicago, The Guggenheim, The Getty (I checked off the National Gallery this summer!)
 
  • Have a proper Studio.  What I mean "proper"  - it is totally independent of this house.  Now I have the space - this amazing carriage house with a great second floor.  All it needs is electricity, plumbing, insulation, storage, hmmmm. .. . . walls, Oh and a kickin' sound system.
 
  • Teach nationally.  Now I don't want to make my livelihood from my art or teaching but I would like to give back to new quilt artists the way my great teachers gave to me.  Plus I want to show everyone that they can explore their creative self!
 
  • Get accepted into Quilt National and Quilts=Art=Quilts.  Now don't get me wrong - its not for the affirmation.  I mean if I think a piece of mine is successful than anybody who disagrees with me is obviously wrong or ignorant.  Its more about bragging rights - grin - yeah I know - I have a real pride problem.  I'll pray on that - grin!
 
  • Have some nice fleshed out successful series.  I want to become prolific. 
 
Well on that note, I guess to become prolific I need to actual work at it instead of just make lists!
What's on Your Bucket List???
 
So, What have you been up to creatively?

5 comments:

Susan Lenz said...

Great bucket list! I don't have such a list but I don't find making such lists morbid! Of course I don't! LOL! My work is almost always swirling, in one way or the other, around the concepts of memory and our eventual death. I will think about making a "creative" bucket list. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!
Susan

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a creative bucket list and will put that on my list of things to do! Actually had an interesting discussion with a friend this week about "my work" and how I feel about it, how I describe it and what needs to change. All part of the creative process. Let me know when you're doing Sue Benner's workshop - I'd love to take one as well! Terri

quiltedfabricart said...

Well,, this is off the top of my head but
1. Have a real studio - now I'm scattered all over the house
2. Get published in a magazine
3. Make,my living from selling patterns subsidized by an part time job in a quilt shop or somewhere that I can interact with other lovers of fabric.

I guess it's good to actually think about such things and write them down. having an list makes me want to finish and cross it off.

Teresa Duryea Wong said...

My post - which I wrote and posted yesterday before I read yours - is exactly on this topic: my list of creative works to do one day! Amazing - great minds thinking the same. I love your blog and enjoy seeing all the blogs of true art quilts. Thanks for hosting.

Marilyn Wall said...

Nina, I find this an interesting topic. My word for the year is List. While I don't have a long time list, well I do in a way. I am part of the SAQA Visioning Project. I do a daily list if things that I want to accomplish in my studio that day. I find it helps me go from one thing to another. Great post.