Friday, December 7, 2012

Getting Some Control---- Off the Wall Fridays

Have I told you lately how thankful I am that  you all show up every week for Off  the Wall Fridays?  Well I am!  I mean, normally in past years, I've had a habit of being creative from about March through the fall.  Then somewhere  - when the days start to shorten, darkness seems to descend on my creative spirit.  It take spring to bring me back to life.  But this year, since it would be pathetic for the host not be doing something, I've kept creating.  So thank you!

This week I only managed to sew a couple of hours to get together the crosses.  They've been baking up on my design wall for the last couple of weeks.  I've really fallen in love with the complex piecing - well it looks complex doesn't it? Only you and I know that they are improve blocks and just flew together with scraps of each block making it look so complex.  Still next time I do this - I'm going to have my husband make plexi-glass template of the size block I cut them down to.  Gosh with all the piecing it was hard to get the blocks to measure out right at the end.  So when I put them together they were all a little off.  (Not that I have control issues or anything).

I did use my handy-dandy little dot stickers to help me keep them in order.  I mean - it looks like I just threw the blocks together any ole way - but I didn't.  I took a lot of time to get them just in the order I wanted them in and I didn't want to screw that up not sewing them together right.  With the dot method - I just numbered each row as I sewed (reusing the dots till they lost their stickyness).  The dots are always oriented in the same way on each block so that not only do I know what order they go in - but also which way is up.  All that control for only a buck!  What more could a girl ask for??
 (I get them cheapie at the Dollar General)

So the crosses are together and just need layered and quilted.  Since all my shopping is done and one tree is up - I might just managed to get that done this week.  Then again - I have another tree that needs dressed and a good cleaning to this house.  I mean - there must be a house somewhere under all these Christmas boxes and fabric scraps!  OMG - not only do I need a wife - now I need a ELF!

So what have you been up to creatively??

12 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

Thanks for the info on the dots. I can think of other uses for these little markers too. Your project looks very promising. I am not much of a piecer, but occasionally, I tackle it.

Anonymous said...

Your crosses are looking fab. Have a great weekend.

Sylvia said...

I really enjoy watching this piece come together! Thanks for sharing and thank you for the blog party, it has been great for me to get motivated in my own work.

bohemiannie! art said...

This is so cool. I didn't know you hosted a blog party...but now that I do, I'll do my best to participate in future.

Lisa Chin said...

They are beautiful! The dot stickers are a great idea for keeping it all in order. I'll have to remember that for future reference.

Kit Lang said...

your piece is really coming together!

Laura said...

Love the colors in your piece, and thanks for hosting this each week, it's really helping me stay motivated, too!

bohemiannie! art said...

OK...mine isn't an art quilt...but it is made of FMS quilted fabric...that Could have been in an art quilt! :) When I came back to read the guidelines...I figured this would fit well enough for this week. Thanks for including me and for hosting this link party!

Unknown said...

I am really loving your crosses quilt. I especially like the way you are piecing the horizontal and vertical arms of the crosses. I swear, after the holidays I'm revisiting my crosses quilts too! Thanks so much for the linky!

Nina Marie said...

Annie - ohhh yeah - I decided that this would an easy going link party - if you want to link up one project week after week as you prod along - if you want to link up another medium you're experimenting with - if you want to link up a post about an art show or quilt guild meeting - that's all fine - I know from experience you never know what will trigger an inspiring thought!

Linda M said...

The crosses are great, I like how it's coming together. And Thank you for hosting 'off the wall Fridays', it's wonderful to see what everyone is working on.

Deborah OHare said...

I so hear you about the short, dark days....not long until winter solstice.